What to do when your body says “No” more stress
While our lives get very busy and stressful, our body seems to take the brunt of it. According to a American Psychological Association study, 75% of Americans experience symptoms related to stress in a given month. Of those people 77% of them experienced physical symptoms.
While these statistics are startling, it is amazing that we don’t devote more time to create the activities that would minimize the stress to our bodies.
Here are some categories of actions that we can take anytime and anywhere that will offer us relief from stress:
Daily relaxation periods
Take a few minutes each day to practice a simple relaxation technique that will restore your balance, center, and focus so that you can finish your day with equanimity.
Strengthening the Body’s defenses
Remember that your body is the foundation for your state of relaxation. Here are three points that will help you to strengthen your resistance to stress:
- Keep the body well nourished to keep your strength up
- Get your required hours of sleep every night
- Exercise regularly, even if it is just walking around the block
Surprising as it may sound, creating new routines in your life has an enormous residual effect on the body. It is so exciting for the mind to have new experiences and routines. Here are some simple stress relief actions that will keep your mind and body alert:
- When driving or walking take a new route to many of your favorite destinations
- Go out of your comfort zone when meeting new people
- Taste new foods
- Experiment with different colors when choosing clothes and furnishings
- Try taking a weekend out of town, with no destination planned, make it up as you go along
Always remember that you have choice in everything that comes into your life, even if it doesn’t feel like it